WinSPC has the ability to automatically log out data collection sessions. This feature is referred to as ‘Automatic Logout Due To Inactivity’. This feature serves 2 basic purposes. The first is relating to security, the other is with regards to simplified license management.
The data collection inactivity timeout period refers to the number of minutes during which no data collection activity occurs at a station before being automatically logged out of WinSPC. Once the timeout limit has been reached, WinSPC will logout the current use and return to the login screen. This setting helps protect unattended stations from misuse. There are two different levels of control over Automatic Logout Due To Inactivity: The global level, and at the station/station group level. This setting affects all users and user groups. It also affects all Stations and Station Groups except those for which a custom inactivity period has been defined in Station Setup properties.
From a security standpoint:
Having a station be able to automatically log out prevents other operators from inadvertently collecting data from a session that is not their own. It also prevents unauthorized access to a given Collection Plan and enforces non-repudiation. Also, some environments require this mechanism enforce compliance to regulations.
From a licensing standpoint:
WinSPC uses concurrent licensing. Licenses are consumed upon logging into WinSPC on each station. To reclaim licenses into the license pool, a user must properly log off. By enabling Automatic Logout Due To Inactivity, a user who might inadvertently leave their data collection window open after they have finished their work would still have the license reclaimed by the license pool after a specified period of time, whereas if it was not enabled, the station would remain logged on, and the license would persist as consumed.
To change the global Data Collection Inactivity Period:
- Login to WinSPC as the Admin user.
- From the Tools menu on the Administrator screen, select System Settings.
- In the Systems Settings window that appears, on the General tab, under Data Collection, at Automatic logout due to inactivity, enter a number of minutes. To deactivate this feature and permit the Data Collection module to remain open indefinitely, enter a value of zero minutes.
To change an individual station or an individual station group’s Data Collection Inactivity Period Override:
- Login to WinSPC as the Admin user or any administrative user that has permission to administrate stations.
- Right-click on the station or station group that you want to set a Data Collection Inactivity Period Override, and select Properties from the popup box.
- Click on the Miscellaneous tab.
- Check the Override Data Collection inactivity timeout: checkbox to enable a station override; likewise uncheck the checkbox to disable a station override.
- Type in the number of minutes into the minutes box for how long the system should wait before current user is to be logged out. To deactivate this feature and permit the Data Collection module to remain open indefinitely, enter a value of zero minutes.